The Whip X Marks Destination
- Words: Jennifer Marston
- Label: Razor and Tie
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
The Whip had a world of expectation on its shoulders upon releasing this album, and, cutting straight to the marrow of the matter, the Manchester, U.K.-based foursome more than delivers with X Marks Destination. More importantly, they’ve given us an album that, while steeped in New Order-esque influences and hybrids of the dance/rock variety, bubbles with its own personality and endless energy. Between the tenebrous synths, relentlessly hard-hitting drums, and lead man Bruce Carter’s lyrical hysterics (which are often times quite poignant), the 10 tracks here make for a very solid debut album.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player