White Williams Smoke
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Tigerbeat6
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Joe Williams’ music is fit for a sports bar and a student co-op basement party, and he rocks that odd duality on Smoke. The smooth-rock opener, “Headlines,” treads half-drunk through a swimming pool, but is catchy enough to advertise steakhouses on TV. Williams revives glam sleaze on “In the Club” and his amusing cover of “I Want Candy,” in which he mopes while using a pub’s urinal. He also has a sharp ear for groove, as shown on the Neu-meets-Bowie excursion “New Violence” and the title track’s contorted P-funk. Smoke curiously ends in discord where a Game Boy melody screeches in “Lice in the Rainbow.” Nonetheless, Williams is off to a healthy start (just avoid viewing one of the decade’s tackiest album covers).
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player