- Words: Sam Mickens
- Label: Anticon
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
For artists as self-immolating as Oakland hip-hop/future-pop purveyors Why?, titling an album Alopecia (an unpleasant form of hair loss) is no huge surprise. Why? main man Yoni Wolf’s deft lyricism often finds its focus in the granular details of everyday life, reveling in the mundane but often parlaying it into transcendent beauty. Maintaining his new focus on sung songs, started on Why?’s last record, Elephant Eyelash, Wolf’s reedy voice evokes everyone from The Mountain Goats’ John Darnielle to They Might Be Giants’ John Linnell but manages to always deliver the songs with unsentimental emotion. Alopecia finds Why? refining and clarifying the scope of its music to mostly excellent ends.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player