Wiley Playtime Is Over
- Words: Matt Earp
- Label: Big Dada
All bounce, bravado, street, and soul, Playtime Is Over stretches like elastic to highlight the finer points of Wiley's talent: his fiery delivery ("HyBoy"), his heartfelt love of his roots ("Bow E3" and "Letter 2 Dizzee"), and his ability to craft a full, darkly kick-ass pop tune ("Gangsters"). The sad thing is that a lot of the griminess and outright experimental nature of Wiley's beats are gone. A few tracks stand out ("Eski Boy" lurches and thumps in some truly weird ways) but many of them go for the simple or the schmaltzy. Wiley's magnetic personality is still there though, and that's (mostly) enough to hold it.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player