Williams Love Crisis
- Words: Sara Jayne Crow
- Label: Glasgow Underground
Ah, novelty, wherefore art thou? William Threlfall has moved beyond the usual lackluster and well-traveled 4/4 margins with Love Crisis. Threlfall builds his sound with micro-sampling instead of culling full loops, a production style that thankfully tends toward polyrythmic complexity. Cowbells and big band instrumentation augment hi-hat hand claps while the beats ride on an undertow of strapping bass. Meanwhile, cut-up slippity-slappity soul is fed through the sonic sieve. Rolling melodics are interspersed throughout, creating (gasp!) novelty within the soul-house sound.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- ReviewFantastic Mr Fox "You Turn"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Caribou, Todd Terje, Gerd Janson, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player