Xrabit + DMG$ Hello World
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Big Dada
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Finally, a hip-hop album that owes as much to ’80s Saturday morning cartoons as it does U.K. grime and crunked-up Southern playalistics. From the get-go of opening track “Damaged Goods,” London-based producer Xrabit goes buck wild at the mixing console, laying down skittery Casio-esque pops and bleeps over an array of bassed-out percussion while Texan MCs Coool Dundee and Trak Bully get busy on the mics. “Ferris Bueller” and “Same Ole” are a pair of memorable ’83-era cuts that big up both Afrika Bambaataa and Art of Noise with enough breakbeats and synths to tear the roof off a house party. Word up.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player