Y-Love This Is Babylon
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Modular Moods
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
Yitz Jordan ciphers spirituality and political consciousness into hip-hop without losing awareness of musicality–essentially, teaching without preaching. For the most part he succeeds. His debut is a musically rich recording that matches his live presence well, where the stage is a theater for his poetic musings. His lyrics (sung in five languages) revolve around unity and understanding, especially regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. “From Brooklyn to Ramle” calls for recognition of “one race” while backed by a seriously banging instrumental, and “Bump” is an instant hip-hop classic in every sense of the word. The album sometimes lags with thin and dated beats (“Mind Transit,” “New Disease”), but overall This Is Babylon is a welcome introduction to a revolutionary wordsmith.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player