Y-Love This Is Babylon
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Modular Moods
- XLR8R Rating: 6.5/10
Yitz Jordan ciphers spirituality and political consciousness into hip-hop without losing awareness of musicality–essentially, teaching without preaching. For the most part he succeeds. His debut is a musically rich recording that matches his live presence well, where the stage is a theater for his poetic musings. His lyrics (sung in five languages) revolve around unity and understanding, especially regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. “From Brooklyn to Ramle” calls for recognition of “one race” while backed by a seriously banging instrumental, and “Bump” is an instant hip-hop classic in every sense of the word. The album sometimes lags with thin and dated beats (“Mind Transit,” “New Disease”), but overall This Is Babylon is a welcome introduction to a revolutionary wordsmith.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player