Yo Majesty Futuristically Speaking…Never Be Afraid
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Domino
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Dirty South dyke club rap, what? Futuristically Speaking…Never Be Afraid, the debut LP from Yo Majesty, is all over the place. While there’s plenty of the clubby electro beats and Sapphic sex raps the Florida group have become known for, there’s also comedic ’80s boogie (“Leather Jacket”) and a guitar-laced album opener (“Fucked Up”), which comes across like a Domino-influenced attempt to punk up their act for the label’s indie-rocker audience. The stylistic gumbo, while odd to say the least, is probably more endearing than 14 different versions of their early single, “Club Action” (the only previously released track included here), would have been. Prior to hearing Futuristically it was hard to imagine Yo Majesty as anything more than a singles group, so the fact that they’ve kinda sorta pulled off an LP is impressive in itself.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player