Young Marble Giants Colossal Youth and Collected Works
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Domino
On the heels of similarly minded reissues from Brit proto-indie luminaries Orange Juice and Josef K, Domino offers the entire recorded output of seminal minimalists Young Marble Giants, including their lone LP, 1980's classic Colossal Youth. Hugely influential despite its brief lifespan, the Welsh trio stripped post-punk to its core-using only herky-jerky guitar and bass, a drum-machine loop, and singer Alison Statton's dreamy vocals to create a haunting, original sound more avant-pop than punk. The crucial disc here is Youth, but the additional tracks-from the band's Testcard EP, John Peel Sessions, "Final Day" single, and Salad Days, an early-recordings collection-paint a clearer picture of a group whose significance extends well beyond its back catalog.
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player