Young Marble Giants Colossal Youth and Collected Works
- Words: Joe Colly
- Label: Domino
On the heels of similarly minded reissues from Brit proto-indie luminaries Orange Juice and Josef K, Domino offers the entire recorded output of seminal minimalists Young Marble Giants, including their lone LP, 1980's classic Colossal Youth. Hugely influential despite its brief lifespan, the Welsh trio stripped post-punk to its core-using only herky-jerky guitar and bass, a drum-machine loop, and singer Alison Statton's dreamy vocals to create a haunting, original sound more avant-pop than punk. The crucial disc here is Youth, but the additional tracks-from the band's Testcard EP, John Peel Sessions, "Final Day" single, and Salad Days, an early-recordings collection-paint a clearer picture of a group whose significance extends well beyond its back catalog.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player