Yppah They Know What Ghost Know
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Ninja Tune
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Turntablist shoegaze, theoretically, sounds like absolute crap. In practice, though, Joe Corrales, Jr. makes it work, as evidenced by his sophomore album, They Know What Ghost Know, a more rock (and post-rock) affair than his 2006 debut. There's a collage-like aesthetic here, with carefully constructed instrumental layers altering slightly on each iteration as new elements come and go. When the album works, as on “City Glow,” with its creepily manipulated vocal snippets, and the beautifully pensive “Shutter Speed,” it's as emotional as any pop song. But when it doesn't, the music sounds forced, as on “The Moon Scene 7,” where the spacey elements sound like a too-literal attempt to expand on the title.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player