Yuksek Away From the Sea
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Cherrytree
- XLR8R Rating: 5.5/10
In 2009, it's simply baffling why artists like Yuksek elect to sign with major labels—even boutique imprints like Cherrytree. There's nothing patently wrong with Away From the Sea, the French producer's debut album, other than an overwhelming sense that all this music has already been done—to death. Yuksek hits all the right blog-friendly electro, disco, and house notes, while cleverly cribbing from Daft Punk, Justice, and Soulwax, and enlisting the help of hipster-certified acts like Amanda Blank and Chromeo, all of whom would have made a hot record—about a year ago. It's hard to shake the feeling that the record simply moldered on the shelves while the execs hammered out a marketing plan.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player