Zelienople Give It Up
Somewhat confusingly described in their press materials as a "jazz trio," Zelienople may share Bohren & der Club of Gore's fixation on Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks music, but they cut that dreaminess with wandering clouds of guitar-nourished despair. It gives the proceedings a smudged and inconsolable soiled-American vibe similar to Steven R. Smith's music, with a few formal nods to ambient electronic. Give It Up's drift is fuzzy without being particularly warm; while Bohren could pass as perverse dinner-party music, Zelienople has created something much more solitary. The album's slight menace challenges the equivalence between ambient music and thoughtful domestic life; this seems to have less to do with tea than extinction.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player