Mary Anne Hobbs: West Coast Rocks
- Words: Jennifer Marston
Music obsessive Mary Anne Hobbs has the power to make and break emerging artists on her influential BBC Radio 1 show. So when she takes a profound interest in a new music scene, you know it's something special. Lately, she's been so tapped into the what she calls West Coast Rocks—L.A. and San Francisco bass-heavy producers such as Flying Lotus, Daedelus, Lazer Sword, Ghosts on Tape, Samiyam, and Gaslamp Killer (just to name a few)—that she made a special pilgrimage to see it with her own eyes. Here, she discusses the impact this scene has had not only on her, but on music globally.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
XLR8R Downloads Player