Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast was assembled by UK bass manipulator Kowton (pictured above), who delivered an hour-long session stuffed with unreleased tunes.
2. Caribou surprised his fans with a special "thank you" gift: an enormous mixtape of his favorite tunes that he's titled The Longest Mixtape: 1000 Songs for You.
3. A new video from FKA Twigs surfaced online. The striking clip is for "Pendulum," a standout cut from last year's LP1.
4. Flying Lotus also offered up a new video; the haunting piece for "Coronus, the Terminator" finds the the LA beat impresario playing a ghost.
5. The latest installment of our Real Talk series of artist-penned essays featured Jimmy Edgar discussing longevity in dance music and the importance of doing what you love.
6. The top track in our Downloads section this week came from German duo Grandbrothers, whose rich, hypnotic "Wuppertal" combines synthesis, rhythmic programming, and live piano in a hybrid piece of modern classical composition.
7. Hessle Audio co-founder Pearson Sound announced the upcoming release of his first full-length album, and a stream of one of its tracks appeared online after debuting on Benji B's BBC Radio 1 program.
8. Next week, UK producer Untold will be kicking off his new Hemlock Black imprint with a new 12", and its two tracks are currently streaming online.
9. The ever-active Four Tet announced that he had compiled all of his 12" releases as Percussions into an album, which is available via his own Text label.
10. Prefuse 73 shared his plans for 2015, which include two new EPs and an LP, all of which will be issued in the months ahead.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown