Westbound Records will soon release Funkadelic - Reworked By Detroiters, an LP that looks back at the immense legacy of Funkadelic and reimagines their Cosmic Slop LP with a diverse range of remixers from many of today’s generation of Detroit producers and musicians—including Underground Resistance, Moodymann, Amp Fiddler, Marcellus Pittman, and Ectomorph.
Brendan M Gillen (Curator), Detroit, 2017:
“Funkadelic have created an enduring legacy, and the power of their impact is visceral in Detroit. Their records not only played with genre, but possessed a diabolical sense of humour that led to music domination by the late '70s with Parliament, Funkadelic, Parlet, Bootsy’s Rubber Band and the Brides Of Funkenstein all releasing albums the same year for two years in a row. The music itself is beyond stereotype, but equally huge is that they were a black band not allowing themselves to be limited by anyone else’s notions of who they could be, having a massive impact on the next generation of Detroit music, Detroit techno. But more than just techno, it is a freedom of thinking that extends beyond boxes, so we included all sorts of today's generation of Detroit musicians and producers to show the wide range of music that was Funkadelic and how these ideas are still contemporary, they endure and inspire.
"We are overwhelmed with how serious the remixers took this project, turning in some of their best work. "Sloppy Cosmic" by Moodymann came about because of this compilation, and that is simply one of the finest odes to the Funkateer generation ever seen, and one of his finest works, here in its purest form. We have people that played in P-Funk in the '80s that eventually had major electronic music careers, such as Amp Fiddler and Underground Resistance. We have the rock band the Dirtbombs contributing their take on the heroin scam rock anthem "Super Stupid." We have a disco edit from the best editor on the planet, Gay Marvine, and all sorts of important players with deep musical insight from the Detroit techno and house camps. We had jazz hero Faruq Z. Bey working on a new version of "Maggot Brain" but sadly he passed away during the creation of this project. Legendary Detroit producers Theo Parrish, Carl Craig, and Wajeed all worked on remixes but felt their mixes just didn’t hold up to Funkadelic's legacy. That is truly a rare kind of respect, and shows you just how much this music still means in Detroit."
The compilation release will be preceded by a 12" Single Cosmic Slop / Let's Make It Last, featuring Moodymann/KDJ reworks, out September 22.
Tracklisting: Cosmic Slop / Let's Make It Last
01. Cosmic Slop (Moodymann Mix)
02. Let's Make It Last (Kenny Dixon Jr Edit)
Tracklisting: Funkadelic - Reworked By Detroiters
01. Sexy Ways (Recloose Disco Flip)
02. You Can't Miss What You Can't Measure (Alton Miller Mix)
03. Get Off Your Ass And Jam (Marcellus Pittman Remix)
04. Cosmic Slop (Moodymann Mix)
05. Music For My Mother (Andres Wo Ahh Ay Vocal Mix)
06. Undisco Kidd (Gay Marvine Edit)
07. Super Stupid (Dirtbombs Version)
08. Take Your Dead Ass Home (The Fantasy Version)
01. Music 4 My Mother (Underground Resistance Mix)
02. Let's Take It To The Stage (Amp Fiddler Laughin @ Ya Mix)
03. Standing On The Verge (Anthony Shake Shakir & T Dancer Remix)
04. You And Your Folks (Claude Young Jr Club Mix)
05. Be My Beach (Mophono & Tom Thump)
06. You And Your Folks (Claude Young Jr Dub)
07. Let's Make It Last (Kenny Dixon Jr Edit)
08. Looking Back At You (Ectomorph Stripped And Dubbed)
09. Maggot Brain (BMG dub)
Funkadelic - Reworked By Detroiters LP is scheduled for October 27 release, with Moodymann's rework of " Cosmic Slop" streaming in full below.