DJ Koze has returned with his second single from Knock Knock, his forthcoming album on Pampa Records. “Illumination” follows the previously released “Seeing Aliens” and is the first album track Koze has shared featuring vocals, coming from Róisín Murphy. "Working on a song together with Roísín is even better than not working at all,” says Koze.
Knock Knock, with 16 tracks, follows 2013's LP Amygdala LP, which itself was followed by 2014’s remix collection Reincarnations Pt. 2 and Koze's 2015 DJ-Kicks mix. We're told that Knock Knock "exists outside of trend and influence," and that "absolutely every single thing here, from grooves to voices to handclaps, is otherworldly and unique." It features disco, soul, techno, hip-hop, and psychedelia—there are even wafts of easy listening, lost crackly thrift store record memories, and indie rock—but "it never does what your brain thinks it's going to do," the label explains.
The album also features some well-known voices from world music. Bon Iver's ghostly hymnals on “Bonfire” are very recognizably his own, while Róisín Murphy contributes to two tracks. Speech from Arrested Development delivers luscious and lazy R&B-funk on “Colors of Autumn"; while Kurt Wagner of Lambchop, Mano Le Tough, Sophia Kennedy, and José González also all make appearances.
01. Club der Ewigkeiten
03. Moving in a liquid (feat. Eddie Fummler)
04. Colors of autumn (feat. Speech of the band Arrested Development)
05. Music on my teeth (feat. José González)
06. This is my rock (feat. Sophia Kennedy)
07. Illumination (feat. Róisín Murphy)
08. Pick up
09. Planet Hase (feat. Mano le tough)
10. Scratch that (feat. Róisín Murphy)
11. Muddy Funster (feat. Kurt Wagner)
12. Baby (how much I LFO you)
14. Lord knows
15. Seeing Aliens
16. Drone me up, Flashy (feat. Sophia Kennedy)
Knock Knock LP will land on May 4 via Pampa Records, with "Illumination" streaming below.