Floating Points is up next in Late Night Tales' long-running artist-curated mix series. We're told to expect a personal collection of global soul, ambient, jazz, and folk treasures, aimed to reflect the stillness of night. Previous contributors to the series include Nils Frahm, Jon Hopkins, The Flaming Lips, Four Tet, MGMT, Röyksopp, Bonobo, and more.
Floating Points'—real name Sam Shepherd—music taste is tricky to define, ranging from ethereal classical at one end to coruscating techno at the other. Similarly, his production career has ranged from early experiments in dance music with breakout records such as the Shadows EP and collaborating with legendary Gnawa master Mahmoud Guinia to his expansive album Elaenia.
This Late Night Tales excursion into the depths of the evening is said to reflect his broad tastes. There’s the gorgeous “Via Làctea," taken from Carlos Walker’s debut album, Bobby Wright’s “Blood Of An American” and Robert Vanderbilt’s gospel reworking of Manchild’s “Especially For You." At the other end of the music scale are the modernists, such as Québécoise Kara-Lis Coverdale, who weighs in with “Moments In Love," Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, whose “Milk” is an exercise in tranquility, while Sarah Davachi’s meditative mix-opener offers respite from a weary world.
"I’ve learnt about a lot of incredible music from listening to the Late Night Tales compilations over the years, so I jumped at the opportunity to compile one myself. The music is a selection of the kind of records I play to set the tone when DJing all night long." — Floating Points
01. Sarah Davachi “Untitled, live in Portland” (Excerpt) (Exclusive track)
02. Carlos Walker “Via Láctea”
03. The Rationals “Glowin’"
40. William S. Fischer “Chains”
05. Max Roach “Equipoise”
06. Bobby Wright “Blood Of An American”
07. Sweet & Innocent “Express Your Love”
08. Robert Vanderbilt & The Foundation of Souls “A Message Especially From God”
09. The Defaulters "Gentle Man”
10. Alain Bellaïche “Sun Blues”
11. Alain Bellaïche “Sea Fluorescent”
12. Kara-Lis Coverdale “Moments In Love” (Excerpt)
13. Azimuth “The Tunnel"
14. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith “Milk" (Excerpt)
15. Toshimaru Nakamura “Nimb#59” (Exclusive track)
16. Floating Points—The Sweet Time Suite, Part I “Opening” (Exclusive Kenny Wheeler cover version)
17. Lauren Laverne—“Ah! Why, Because The Dazzling Sun” (Exclusive Emily Brontë spoken word piece)
The mix lands March 29, with a trailer below.