Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Next week, Detroit techno pioneer Juan Atkins will be releasing a new album under his Model 500 guise. In the meantime, the LP is streaming in full exclusively on XLR8R.
2. The latest XLR8R podcast is a diverse session assembled by Brooklyn native and Berghain/Output resident DJ Anthony Parasole.
3. Nina Kraviz (pictured above) released her entry in the vaunted DJ-Kicks mix series this week, and readers flocked to read our official review.
4. Warp mainstay Clark gave away a free EP of remixes called Winter Boots (Part 1).
5. Roland shared details of the JD-Xi, a new hybrid digital/analog synth.
6. Ableton introduced the OSCiLLOT, a new modular synthesis device for Live.
7. After visiting the annual NAMM show in Anaheim last week, our official round-up of the gear expo included a breakdown of 16 things that caught our eye this year.
8. Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante surprised everyone with the news that he would soon be releasing an acid-based album under the name Trickfinger.
9. A new edition of our 20 Questions series popped up this week with legendary director and composer John Carpenter.
10. The most popular tune in our Downloads section this week came from Toronto duo Èbony, whose "Sunshine" combines the futurist perspective of Detroit techno and the soulful melodies of Yoruba house.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown