Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. This week's XLR8R podcast was delivered by veteran German producer and highly lovable oddball DJ Koze (pictured above).
2. Over the weekend, Hyperdub announced that it would soon be releasing a new EP from shadowy UK beatmaker Burial.
3. We kicked off our Best of 2013 content this week, beginning with a countdown of the 100 most popular tunes from our Downloads section.
4. In one of the most uplifting pieces of news we've seen all year, Berlin-based DJ/producer Levon Vincent announced that he would be sponsoring a sort of artist apprenticeship in the German capital and put out an open call for demos from anyone looking to apply.
5. This week's contest offered readers the chance to score a Novation Launchpad Mini. Enter now before it's too late.
6. UK artist Four Tet is essentially a permanent resident of The Lowdown, and this week saw him posting a recording of recent live set at the Hostess Club Weekender in Tokyo, Japan.
7. Our in-depth profile of Breach (a.k.a. Ben Westbeech) found the UK-born, Amsterdam-based producer discussing his inadvertent breakthrough hit ("Jack"), his new DJ-Kicks mix, and what it has been like to find crossover success after so many years in the underground.
8. The latest installment of our Hi-Five series offered West Coast OGs Snoop Dogg and Dam-Funk an opportunity to list their favorite tunes from each other's catalogs. The pair is releasing a collaborative album via Stones Throw next week.
9. Jimmy Edgar has been rather prolific lately, and this week saw one of his creations, a remix of "Power" by Moscow-based indie/funk outfit Pompeya, offered up as a free download.
10. Another popular download this week came from NYC's Free Magic, whose dub version of Moon Boots' "Got Somebody" pushed the tune into brighter, more melodic territory.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown