Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The music world was saddened this week by the death of seminal LFO member and frequent Bjork collaborator Mark Bell.
2. All week long, XLR8R ran its annual Labels We Love series, and the most popular feature was our list of 10 of our favorite labels, along with five new imprints worth watching.
3. UK producer Julio Bashmore (pictured above) debuted a disco-indebted new single, "Rhythm of Auld," which is said to precede a new album.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast was assembled by Berlin expat Lando, who will be soon launching a new label, Myth Music, with his own new EP.
5. Bonobo announced the impending release of a new EP for Ninja Tune, and shared a stream of the title track.
6. We kicked off Labels We Love with an in-depth profile of long-running Dutch imprint Clone Records.
7. The top tune in our Downloads section this week was a sparkling remix of Repeat Pattern's "Half of Half" by UK producer Submerse.
8. London's Hyperdub was also the subject of a Labels We Love feature, as we asked founder Kode9 to list 10 of the imprint's most memorable tracks—one for each year of its existence.
9. Labels We Love also included a fascinating B2B conversation between Night Slugs' Bok Bok and PAN's Bill Kouligas.
10. Brooklyn beatmaker FaltyDL shared news of an unpronounceable new EP for Ninja Tune, and shared a stream of a new track.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown