Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. Last week, XLR8R headed to Montreal to check out MUTEK's collaborative EM15 festival. Our subsequent review catalogued our thoughts on the event, including our opinions on Nicolas Jaar, Ricardo Villalobos, and the unexpected naps we took along the way.
2. Machinedrum (pictured above) surprised his fans this week by giving away "Hazel Ash," an unreleased b-side from the Vapor City sessions, as a free download.
3. As we do every month, we kicked off June by tabulating and publishing a list of the most popular downloads from the site during the previous 30 days.
4. This week's XLR8R podcast was assembled by fast-rising San Francisco house and techno producer Matrixxman.
5. Seemingly everyone was delighted by the announcement that Caribou would be delivering a new LP this fall. The news was accompanied by a stream of a new track.
6. Of all the tunes to appear in our Downloads section this week, the most popular was a remix of Brazilian outfit Sonzeira by UK house veteran Mark E.
7. Maya Jane Coles always tends to get a lot of attention, and this week was no different, as a stream of Matthew Herbert's remix of Coles' "Senseless" got readers excited.
8. XLR8R also traveled to Barcelona last week for the annual Primavera Sound festival, and our review detailed our key takeaways from the busy weekend.
9. London's Hyperdub label revealed the details of its second 10th-anniversary compilation, which will focus on the imprint's R&B inclination.
10. A new documentary premiered this week featuring DJ Spinn and the late DJ Rashad during a March trip to Mexico.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown