Throughout the week, a whole lot of material gets posted here on XLR8R. And while we know—and love—that some hardcore readers will eagerly pour over every single news story, interview, podcast, video, and MP3 download that appears on the site, we also realize that for most people, it's impossible to see everything, which means that some quality XLR8R content is likely to get missed in the hustle and bustle of everyone's daily lives. In the interest of making it easier for everyone to catch up, every Friday we present The Lowdown, a weekly wrap-up of the top 10 tidbits from our site.
1. The latest installment of In the Studio took us to the bedroom production lair of SoCal beatmaker and Stones Throw affiliate Jonwayne (pictured above).
2. German outfit Moderat will be kicking off 2014 with the release of a new single, "Last Time," which will come backed by a new remix from UK producer Jon Hopkins.
3. We tapped house legend MK for a new chapter of our Hi-Five series, and got the LA-based producer to list five of his favorite '90s house jams—that he didn't make himself.
4. This week's contest gave XLR8R readers the chance to score a Synth Kit—essentially, it's a collection of pieces made for building DIY analog synthesizers—from Korg and littleBits. Enter now before it's too late.
5. There was a lot of Moderat-related activity this week, as a detailed and lengthy video surfaced that found Modeselektor (who make up two thirds of the group) explaining the production processes behind the II album.
6. The latest XLR8R podcast was delivered by Swiss techno veteran Deetron, who released his long-awaited sophomore LP a few weeks ago.
7. UK house starlet Maya Jane Coles remixed "First Fires," a song from the new Bonobo LP, and a stream of the track was posted online.
8. Toronto duo Azari & III announced that the pair would no longer be working together.
9. At the end of this month, Hotflush boss Scuba will be releasing his own remix of Paul Woolford's "Untitled," but ahead of that, a stream of the tune has appeared online.
10. Pioneer announced the impending launch of the CDJ-900NXS, a recharged version of its CDJ-900 line.
An expanded version of the The Lowdown is also available via a weekly email newsletter. Those interested in an even more in-depth round-up of XLR8R content, including a complete listing of all the free downloads we've offered in the past seven days, should sign up by entering their email address below.
Subscribe to the XLR8R Lowdown